Can’t seem to win the war against sugar and chocolate cravings? Local baker Maya Hedges has come up with a sweet alternative
Wholemeal Wheat & Ginger Pancakes
Author: Maya Hedges
- 200g whole wheat flour, or plain flour with added multigrain seeds
- 1 and a half teaspoons of baking powder
- 100ml of almond milk
- 200g blueberries
- 1 thumb-sized piece of ginger, grated
- 4 cardamom pods.
- Small tub of creme fraiche (one teaspoon per pancake)
- Put whole wheat flour and baking powder into a mixing bowl, mix together.
- Slowly add the almond milk until the consistency is runny enough to fall off a spoon.
- Grate the ginger finely.
- Fry the cardamom pods in a small pan until the spice releases its fragrance but does not burn.
- Add to the creme fraiche along with the ginger.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan with a teaspoon of vegetable oil.
- Pour in half a ladle full of your mixture to cover the entire pan.
- Fry until brown bubbles form on each pancake and then flip over and cook both sides until light brown.
- To serve: put 3 pancakes on the plate with the spicy creme fraiche on top and scatter over the blueberries. (Raspberries and blackberries are just as yummy!)