What do you do when life give you lemons? Make lemon flavoured cookies with this easy-peasey recipe by Lisa Faulkner
Lemon Meringue Sandwich Cookies
Author: Lisa Faulkner
- 250g plain flour
- 100g rice flour
- 250g salted butter, softened
- 75g golden caster sugar
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 egg yolk
- 200ml double cream
- 3 tablespoons Betty’s lemon curd
- 4 meringue shells, crushed
- 225g caster sugar
- 60g unsalted butter
- Zest of 1 unwaxed lemon
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- Sift the flours into a large bowl and make a well in the centre. Add the butter, sugar, lemon zest and egg yolk. Gradually work in the flour using your fingertips until the mixture comes together to form a soft dough. Wrap in cling film and chill for 30 minutes until firm.
- Preheat the oven 150c, gas mark 2, and line a baking sheet with greaseproof paper.
- Dust the work surface with a little flour and roll out the dough to a thickness of 5mm. Cut into discs with a 6cm round cutter and place on the prepared baking sheet. Refrigerate for 30 minutes until firm.
- Bake the biscuits for about 30 minutes until a pale golden colour, then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, whisk the cream to soft peaks then fold through Betty’s lemon curd and crushed meringue. Spoon the mixture onto half of the biscuits, then sandwich with the remaining plain biscuits.
- Put the sugar, butter, lemon zest and juice into a non-stick pan and place over a low heat.
- Stir gently with a whisk until the butter has melted then whisk in the beaten eggs; you’ll see it start to thicken.
- Switch to a wooden spoon and stir gently for 10-15 minutes.
- It should thicken enough to cling to the back of the spoon.
- Remove from the heat and leave to cool, stirring occasionally.
- When cool, pour into a sterilized jar.
For more ways to cook visit www.lisafaulkner.co.uk