Craving chocolate? Don’t let your sweet world crumble, Yessica Klein dices up some heathly magic with a delicious Apple Crumble
Healthy Spiced Apple Crumble
Author: Yessica Klein
- For the apples: 5 Braeburn apples, diced
- ½ cup of honey
- ½ a lemon, juice and zest
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of black pepper
- For the topping:
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup flaked almonds
- ½ cup coconut flakes (or desiccated coconut)
- ½ cup demerara sugar
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 tbsp bee pollen (optional)
- Pre-heat the oven at gas mark 5.
- In a medium baking dish put the diced apples, add lemon zest and juice, honey and all the spices.
- Place in the oven for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. The apples should be cooked but not falling apart - they should still have a bite to it.
- Melt the coconut oil and allow to cool.
- Add sugar and let it dissolve in the coconut oil. Mix in the oats, almonds, coconut flakes, and bee pollen, if using it. You should have a crumbly texture - it won’t be stuck together as your average crumble topping would. Sprinkle over the apples and return to oven (now at gas mark 3) for another 15 minutes or until golden.
- Serve whilst warm - feel free to add a dollop of vanilla yoghurt in it!