Sprout haters we might have a solution! Adam Byatt shares an exclusive recipe where he spruces up the traditional Christmas veg
Sauté of Chestnuts and Brussel Sprouts
Author: Adam Byatt
Recipe type: Alternative Christmas
- 15g butter
- 30g cooked chestnuts
- 30g picked Brussel sprout top leaves
- 20g smoked bacon lardons
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 sprig of thyme
- Splash of Madeira
- Preparing your ingredients:
- Cut the base off the Brussel sprouts, discard outer leaves and separate all inner leaves to be used for cooking. Blanch these in boiling salted water for 2 minutes and refresh in cold water. Retain for later.
- Cut bacon lardons into small cubes.
- Roughly chop chestnuts.
- Finely dice garlic clove.
- Remove leaves from the sprig of thyme.
- Melt the butter until foaming and add the chopped chestnuts.
- Add lardons into the butter until crisp, drop in the blanched sprout leaves and toss with the garlic and thyme until the leaves are soft.
- Add the Madeira and reduce.
- Tip: A great garnish for pheasant, oxtail or game birds