This Sumashi Jiru Clear Soup has powerful ginger to combat winter colds, nutritious greens and vegetarian protein to keep you going
Sumashi Jiru Clear Soup
Author: Reiko Hashimoto
- 4 cups dashi stock
- 2 tbsp sake
- 2 tbsp mirin
- 1½ tbsp soy sauce
- ½ tsp salt
- 50g carrots
- 50g asparagus
- 50g daikon (winter radish)
- 1 sheet deep-fried tofu
- 1 tbsp cornflour with ¼ cup of water
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- Seven spice powder
- Slice the vegetables into thin matchsticks and thinly slice the deep fried tofu.
- Boil the dashi stock then add the vegetables and cook for one minute.
- Add sake, mirin, soy sauce and salt. Cook for a further 2 minutes.
- While the soup is boiling, pour the mixture of cornflour and water little by little into the soup and stir until the soup has reduced to a consistency just thicker than water.
- Serve immediately with grated ginger and seven spice powder.
Recipe from Reiko Hashimoto from Hashi Cooking, Wimbledon’s Japanese home cookery school. www.hashicooking.co.uk