Get yourself in the mood for Easter with this delicious recipe for Vanilla and Chocolate Hot Cross Buns
Note: These are also perfect for freezing.
Nielsen-Massey Vanilla & Chocolate Hot Cross Buns
- 500g white bread mix
- 50g butter, softened and cut into pieces
- 100g Billington's Light Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- 50g sultanas
- 50g chopped mixed peel
- 250g dates, chopped
- 1 large egg, lightly whisked
- 250ml warm whole milk
- 1 tsp Nielsen-Massey Vanilla Bean Paste
- 100g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- Plain flour, for dusting
- FOR THE TOP OF THE BUNS
- 3 tbsp plain flour (we use Allinsons)
- 75g Billington's Golden Caster Sugar
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- Empty the bread mix flour into a large mixing bowl, add the butter and rub together with your fingers until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar, spices, mixed peel and dried fruit.
- Make a deep well in the centre, then pour in the beaten egg, milk and vanilla bean paste. Add the chocolate and start by using a wooden spoon to mix, then follow with your hands until a dough consistency is formed.
- Knead the dough for about 10 minutes on a lightly floured surface, adding a little more flour if it becomes too sticky.
- Cut the dough into 12 equal parts and place in a 20cm x 20cm greased tin lined with baking paper.
- Cover with a damp cloth and set aside in a warm place for at least two hours, or until springy to the touch and doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C, gas 7. To make the crosses, form a paste with the flour and 3 tablespoons of water, then transfer to a piping bag and pipe a cross on top of each bun. Bake the buns for 25-30 minutes.
- To make the glaze, gently warm the sugar and orange juice together in a small pan until all the sugar has dissolved. Transfer the buns on to a wire rack and brush over the glaze whilst they are still warm. Leave to cool.
Recipe Courtesy of Nielsen-Massey Vanillas, www.nielsenmassey.co.uk