Gluten-free and vegan, this recipe allows you to treat yourself guilt-free. The beetroot adds great nutrients and a magical colour
Recipe provided by international nutritionist and superfood chef Juliette Bryant of Juliette’s Kitchen, and you can find more like it in her book Divine Desserts – How to have your cake and eat it.
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 cup of ground almonds
- ½ cup of cacao powder
- 1 cup of warm water
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 1 medium beetroot
- 1 banana
- 1 cup of coconut sugar (or maple syrup)
- ⅓ cup of coconut butter, melted
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Place the beetroot into a pan of boiling water and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Put the beetroot in a blender along with the coconut oil, banana, warm water (I use some of the beetroot water) and coconut milk. Blend 'till smooth and set aside.
- In a bowl, mix the buckwheat flour, ground almonds, cacao and baking powders together, then add in the wet mixture and mix 'till smooth.
- Pour into a cake tine and bake at 180 degrees for 35 mins, or until fully cooked (stick a knife in, and if it comes out clean, it's done).
- Leave to cool in the tin and slice and serve. Store in an air tight container and it'll last up to a week.