Perfect for a touch of style at your next picnic (a bit more special than squashed sandwiches!)
- 500g (1lb 2oz) stale white or brown bread, dried in the oven until golden
- 600g (1lb 5oz) ripe tomatoes, cut into small chunks (save all the juices)
- 50g (1.oz) celery stalks, trimmed and finely chopped
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 1 green pepper, deseeded and finely sliced
- A few pitted black olives
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil, plus a few sprigs to garnish
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- Put the dried bread into a bowl, and pour over just enough water to soften it, for a few minutes only.
- Reduce the pieces of bread to large chunks, and get rid of any surplus water in the bowl.
- Add the tomatoes and their juices, the celery, onion, green pepper, olives and chopped basil.
- Mix well and then add the olive oil, vinegar and garlic, with some salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix again until a juicy mixture results, and divide between serving plates. Serve garnished with a sprig of basil.
Recipe by Antonio Carluccio, from his latest recipe book “Vegetables”.
To order Carluccio’s Perfect Picnics, go to www.carluccios.com/picnics. Order from your local Carluccio’s, then simply pop in, pick it up and head for the park!