Who knew you could make ice cream from chickpeas? This recipe is gluten-free and dairy-free, so everyone can enjoy some ice cream this summer.
- 1 tin chickpeas
- 60ml olive oil
- 185ml soy milk
- 90ml caster sugar
- Seeds from 1 vanilla pod (or a few drops of vanilla essence)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Open the tin of chickpeas and drain the liquid - but reserve it.
- Add the soy milk, vanilla seeds/essence, two thirds of the sugar and the maple syrup to the chickpeas and blend until smooth. Once done, pass through a fine sieve and keep to one side.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the leftover chickpea liquid from the tin until you start to get soft peaks appearing (you want something resembling a meringue). Slowly add the remaining sugar and whisk until fully incorporated. You could also add a few drops of vanilla essence if you like.
- Fold the chickpea puree into the meringue until fully blended.
- Place in an ice cream maker and let it stir until frozen and creamy. Alternatively, simply pop into a plastic container in your freezer and give it a firm stir every couple of hours until frozen.
Try adding different flavours to the ice cream; a shot of espresso, some mashed raspberries or even swapping the soy milk for coconut cream.
If you are not after a 100% ‘free from’ ice cream, swap the soy milk for almond milk or even cream.
Try to use a light or fruity olive oil and avoid peppery ones (unless you fancy that!).
Recipe provided by Masterchef Semi-finalist Theo Michaels. For more of his innovative recipes, go to www.theocooks.com