Don’t waste good food, learn how to make great use of your leftovers with this quick Bread and Butter Pudding recipe
Lisa Faulkner told food & favour ‘when people come to stay, as well as making muffins and a cowboy breakfast, I seem to buy a load of croissants too! The thing is, they don’t all get eaten and they don’t last, so this recipe is an ideal way to use up the leftovers…’
- 25g(1oz)lightly salted butter
- 200ml(7floz)double cream
- 1vanillapod, seeds scraped out or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 50g(2oz)caster sugar
- 3 large eggs plus 3 egg yolks
- 125g(4½oz)apricot jam
- 6 day-old croissants, cut into 15mm(5⁄8inch)thick slices
- 100g(3½oz)chopped dried apricots
- Preheat the oven to 170°C(325°F), gas mark 3.
- Generously grease the base and sides of a 2.5 litre (4½pint)ovenproof dish with the butter and set aside.
- Combine the milk, cream and vanilla pod and seeds(orextract)in a saucepan and bring to just simmeing point.
- Meanwhile whisk the sugar, eggs and egg yolks in a large bowl.
- Pour the hot milk mixture over the eggs and sugar and whisk to combine.
- Discard the vanilla pod.
- Mix the apricot jam with 2 tablespoons of hot water to loosen then spread over the slices of croissant.
- Arrange the croissant slices in overlapping layers on the bottom of the dish, sprinkling the chopped apricots between the layers.
- Pour the custard mixture over the top and leave to soak for 15-20 minutes.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes until golden brow.
For more sumptuous recipes visit www.lisafaulkner.co.uk